The Early Days
Oakwood Integrated Primary School opened as the result of the hard work and commitment of a small group of dedicated parents, who felt that the kind of schooling they wished for their children, did not exist in the area.
Oakwood IPS opened its doors in 1996 with just 34 children.
We now have a beautiful purpose-built school and Children's Centre with 203 children in our primary and 30 children in our pre-school. We have wrap-a-round care from 8am-6pm, 50 weeks of the year.
'Learning, working and playing together for a better tomorrow,' is at the heart of everything we do at Oakwood.
It's a special kind of place and its inclusive nature was recognised when Oakwood became the first primary and therefore also the first integrated primary school in Northern Ireland to achieve the Inclusion Quality Mark (IQM) in May 2010.
In January 2014, Oakwood IPS was the first school in Northern Ireland to achieve IQM Flagship status. The Principal, Mrs Howe, is trained as an IQM Assessor.
At Oakwood Integrated Primary School, it is important that everyone feels they can and indeed does achieve their full potential. The Education and Training Inspectorate (ETI) recognised the outstanding quality of teaching and learning and the outstanding pastoral provision at Oakwood.
Oakwood IPS is part of Teaching and Learning Schools NI (TLS) and acts as a hub school for TLS. The principal is on the Steering Group and the Vice-Principal is a trained facilitator for the TLS Level 1 and 2 programmes.
Oakwood Integrated Primary School's inclusive, child-centred approach supports achievement and positive lifelong attitudes to learning by working with children to help them to
* Achieve high standards in all areas of the curriculum.
* Become confident, self motivated learners.
* Be able to work independently and collaboratively.
* Develop essential life skills.
* Have high self esteem while understanding and displaying mutual respect.
* Be equally aware of rights and responsibilities.
* Become highly skilled users of ICT.
* Be aware of and nurture their spiritual dimension.
* Seek to adopt a healthy lifestyle.